Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A left turn. . .

  Well it's been quite a week. Our visit to Whitehorse wasn't quite as expected. We arrived home on Tuesday night, and on Wednesday morning, I had some symptoms that put me in the hospital until Friday afternoon. We flew back to Vancouver on Saturday. Since our arrival back here, our world has once again been turned upside down. I had a contrast dye MRI on Monday that doctors were hoping to use to monitor the progress of my treatment. We checked back into the BCCA for my sixth round of treatment yesterday (Tuesday), and after much waiting, miscommunications from doctors, and confusion, we learned that based on my latest MRI, the oncologists have decided to switch tacks and my treatment focus. The latest scan shows that the major tumour that was operated on in August has in fact now grown in size and is proving to be resistant to the Methotrexate Chemotherapy. As far as they can tell, the rest of my lesions/tumours have disappeared, and have most likely entirely succumbed to the chemo. That is not to say that there may not be a few lymphoma cells remaining scattered throughout my brain.
  The next step, then, involves stopping my chemo regime entirely, and starting intensive low-dose radiation therapy focusing on my entire brain, with the goal of killing of the rest of the largest lesion and any other remaining cells. The best case scenario is that this treatment will start soon, last a short time (likely 5 short appointments a week for 2-3 weeks), cure the cancer forever, leave me feeling relatively OK, and include no long-term side-effects. There are probabilities of all of these good things happening, but again, based on my age, general health, and basic differences from most CNS lymphoma patients, it's hard to make any predictions on what those probabilities are. Lymphoma apparently generally reacts well to radiotherapy, but of course because of the nature and location of the disease in my body, there are also distinct possibilities that A) the disease could resurface within the next 2 years, and B) that radiating my brain could cause long-term side effects such as concentration/memory problems, etc (these would likely show up in the next 2 years also).
  All this is not good news, but really, probably the reality that we've been avoiding mentally for some time. The fact is that this disease will be with us for some time, and we just need to keep our chins up and keep fighting. It's a bit tough for us right now because we don't really have a life to hold on to: our move back to Whitehorse was sort of a new beginning, but at the moment, we're in a bit of limbo. Our lives are scattered from the Yukon to BC to Ontario, and it sort of feels like we've got nowhere to really call home at the moment. The only place that does feel that way right now exists within all of you. It's been so great to keep hearing from all of you so continuously, and if I could make one request, it's that you take a brief minute to let us know that you're still helping us smash through this mess. It's amazing the power that we feel from a quick blog comment or email. All those hands around us sure make us feel strong. Another source of strength is the continued growth of the newest member of team Smash, and Meg and the baby are holding up really well. We're starting to make more concrete plans in terms of the baby's arrival, and we've got several appointments over the next few weeks to help us prepare for that exciting time.
  Our next few days will help us set our sights on the next turn in this road. We've got a Young Adults Cancer Network group support meeting tonight, an appointment with our counsellor at the BCCA on Thursday, and a meeting with Dr. Joseph Ragaz, our oncologist/guardian angel on Friday. The planning for my radiation therapy should be complete by next week, and we should know a lot more about what that will look like soon. We'll keep you posted.
  Finally, we've also recently learned about a benefit/fundraiser being put on in Toronto by family and old friends on December 5. If you're at all interested, you can check out the event website at http://www.moderncommunications.ca/smashatoa/. It should be a night of great music, good times, t-shirt sales, silent auction items, and plenty of smashy vibes. We hope everyone is doing well. We're still going to beat this thing. It's just going to take a couple of days to shift gears mentally and get ready for the next stage. We'll see you down the road.


Some sense of home: A walk by the Yukon River
  

Dearest Carl - we miss you buddy
     

28 comments:

Rebecca said...

The Smashy Vibes are still coming strong from Ottawa - in fact, if the activity in my belly is any indication, there's another young life force sending some smash power from this city now too. (Sometimes it misses and smashes my bladder, but hey, it's still learning motor control.)

Thinking of you and sending love love love.

Rebecca and Christopher (and the very active mystery baby)

chris said...

Hey Mark.
The smashin' vibes are also coming from long-lost pals in Toronto. I know you guys are strong and that you're fighting this thing with everything you've got and that you'll get through it. Keep smashing and keep strong.
Lots of love
chris essert

Ryan said...

Hi Mark and Megan,
We met you guys in 2004 through Deb and Pete and found your blog through theirs. We're checking in regularly and smashin' it from down here; where you have a home in Revelstoke!

Ryan and Ann-Marie.

Anonymous said...

Hello my dears!
More smashy power coming from Montreal. I am very proud of all the smashing that has been done to date! I know you will keep smashing. I really want to call again and hear your lovely voices. So that is what I am going to do. In the meantime, know I am sending all my love and smashy vibes. Stay rested and focused, and please do not pass up any oppurtunities to eat good mushrooms (complementary mycotherapy), until I can make it there to cook some for y all myself. xoxoxoxoxoxo mandy

love food said...

Hi guys!!! love the blog and love the continued updates. We are still sending smashy positive vibes your way and you can fight this thing. You're already doing sucha g reat job!!! We're going to the event on December 5th and can't wait to bid our hearts out!! Lots of love always from Georgetown!!
Erin, Van and Jan
xoxo

Bryan McKenzie said...

HEy folks - You don't know me but... (I heard about your blog through Rebacca Sandiford).
I thought I would pass on 2 things:
1) I've done some work with this organization: www.firstdescents.org and trying to get them to come into Canada. I think that isn't going to happen yet, but there is some talk of them accepting Canadian participants next year. Please do check it out if you're interested.
2) One of the participants (a particularly inspirational guy) at the camp that I volunteered at this past summer wrote a book about his experience and also created a foundation to help share information and raise awareness:
www.masskickers.org
If you want to get in touch to discuss further, you can find me through Rebecca.

Good luck and be well - more smashy vibes from Ottawa, to build on the ones from R, C and ?

Slocombe said...

Hey Friends...

The Smashy Vibes couldn't be stronger over here - thinking about you both/you three throughout every single day. I check in with your blog every day as well - hoping to hear more news and feel a little bit closer to you. I am sorry that your visit North was not as planned, but hopefully a little visit with Carl and the northern air got your batteries charged - even just a little bit. Stay strong - this is just a bend in the road but your a still rocking the journey and smashing things up! I am very proud of you both! Miss you guys like crazy and wish more than anything that we could have a visit. But know that I am here if you need me - for anything at all!

Sending you tons and tons of love and Smashy-ness!
xo Claire

Unknown said...

We are sending you guys a tsunami of positive smashy waves from here in Port McNicoll. The roller coster has taken a wrong turn but it will get back on the right track. Keep on keeping on!!
Lots of hugs,

Kim, Tony, Ellea and Noah

Anonymous said...

Hey you two (near three)...
Our thoughts and love with you stronger than ever. We love you and send you a big SMASH!
The other morning when I woke up the girls for school, I asked Dahlia what she dreamt and she said she had a dream that Mark was all better and we had a big party to celebrate and everyone partied together and even the kids got to stay up all night long....
We love you!
Aisha, Simon, Dahlia and Constance.

Anonymous said...

Dear Meghan, Mark and the growing bulge,
Rick and I are sending our love and lots of smashy thoughts to you all from Australia. Today we had three kookaburras sitting on the corner of our roof waiting for their chance in the bird bath. As they waited they all laughed loudly sounding a bit like a bunch of monkeys and we thought you would so enjoy seeing and hearing these crazy birds too. We love you very much and send lots of love,
Rick and Chris

Unknown said...

We have never met - we are friends with Brianna and she told us about your blog.
Your story has touched us deeply. You are in our thoughts; all of our determination, strength and positive energy are yours.
Use them!
All the very best,
Laura and Tim

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark and Meghan,

We are good friends of Brianna and Grahams as well. We have been tuned into your story since Brianna returned from BC this summer. Your spirit and courage amaze us everyday. Keep believing in yourself...and of course SMASH IT!

Marla & Aaron Christie

Cat London said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cat London said...

Lots and lots of love and vibes of smashery coming from Kingston, Ontario! I know you haven't met my husband Matt and I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Meg yet. But you'd better believe that both of us -- and our large orange mutt Cato -- are behind both (all three, actually!) of you 100%. Thank you for keeping up this blog so we can keep up to date on what's going on. I'm making plans to try to get in to Toronto for the fundraiser in December. Thinking of you, Callan family!
Hugs and smiles,
Catherine London

Cat London said...

(Incidentally, for those of you wondering if the deleted comment above was particularly scandalous, I'm sorry to disappoint you -- I deleted it because it had a typo!)

Katharine S said...

Mark, Meg and Mini-Merk,

As always, all my love is flowing your way. It feels amazing that Terry and I are just two of so many people sending you strength and support. And you both continue to awe us with your humour, courage and determination.

big hug,
Katharine

Rae W said...

Hi Meghan and Mark,

Meghan - we met before through Marg when she and I were working together in Edmonton. Marg had let me know all about smashin' it and I have been reading your blog often, amazed at your strength and courage!

All our thoughts are with you and your soon-to-be arrival!
The Westmann family - Rae, Hardy, Dylan and Baby#2 (due in December also)

Socorro said...

Hey hey, you two!

There's a lot of SMASHing going on in Thunder Bay, as well. Myles and I have been proud bracelet wearers for weeks now. It's the only jewelry Myles P. Woodman will even consider wearing. Besides his wedding ring and if that ever came off, there'd be all sorts of other smashing going on.

Thank you for keeping us in the loop with your journey. Love you two. A lot.

Socorro said...

It took a lot of self-control to not type about Carl in the past post. But I have to leave a message for Carlito!

Carl, we have a different special needs pooch living with us right now--Liller. Also known as Diddy. Diddy is almost as 'fraidy cat as you are, my friend. Maybe because Angus bangs pots & pans in her face every day. Hugs and chest rubs to you, Carl.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark!!!
Surveillance is coming up this coming week!!! Kinda made me think of the last years class and ya. You got through this tough year over here..... not to mention you were out hunting on the stand studying!! You are the man with the strongest willpower that I know!! Keep the Smashing Good Job up. Take care of your self good buddy and I hope that things start quivering and surcombe to the smashing!

Prayers,
Matthew McVittie

Walkley-Miyagawa said...

Hi Mark and Meghan,

Me and my family are smash-it supporters. I was once a Y2C2 coordinator and crew leader for a few years and my husband Mitch went fishing with Mark once (i think that's the story). Remy introduced me to the smash-it phenomenon and I've been passing on the smash-it message to former CAT and Y2C2 employees. Knowing how good many of those folks are with a pylasky, shovel and chainsaw there should be some pretty good momentum there. My boys, Tomio and Sam, love their Smash-it shirts and the oldest (4 yrs) loves explaining that "no" the shirt is not a sign that he is a hellian, but rather a shirt about a guy who is smashing something bad that is in his head and has a baby coming.

Good luck with the baby planning and radiation planning. And I look forward to meeting you guys back in Whitehorse!

Angela

Unknown said...

Hi Mark and Meg,

You both are amazing and if I know anybody who can smash the hellz out of it its you! Sending all my love,

Serena

Chris Papazian said...

Hey Mark and Megan,
Smashin' strength to you from way down here in Dallas, TX.
Feel the sunshine? Feel the love?
Feel better.

Liz Ben-Ishai said...

Hi Mark,

Sending you continued smashing powers! You are in my thoughts. Stay strong!

Liz

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark and Meg,
I think this is my first post, but I've been following your blogs every step of the way. Anyways it seems like another bump in the road has come up. No big deal though Mark because the smash it power is strong. You've always been able to over come anything that has been thrown your way. You were able to stay focused for 4 months without Giniush (spelling) the elephant thing. haha. Everyone back here at the college is praying and thinking about you, Meg and and the only baby that will be born with a full yukon beard. Stay strong buddy, and Smash this thing.
Eric Pybus

Nicole Pivnick said...

Hi Mark,
I'm continually in awe of your strength and positivity. Sending lots of smashy vibes from NYC... There's a big crew of us thinking of you here... Stay strong!
Nicole

Michelle Cohen said...

Hi guys,

Here's some more love and positive energy from T.O. We're all thinking about you and sending you our combined powers of smashing. Your strength and grace under fire is inspiring. Your babe is truly lucky to have such cool, collected parents with such a great love of the outdoors. All the best welcoming the little one into the world and staying strong to smash it up!

Michelle and Eric

Matthew Lie - Paehlke said...

SMASH!!!!!

Also, on a first read I thought you had written: "Another source of strength is the continued growth of the newest member of our team, Smash."

And I thought, 'Wow, that is a bold choice in naming a child.' Perhaps not the wisest choice, but certainly amusing to think about. As in, "Hey! Smash! What are you doing?!?!"