Saturday, August 29, 2009

Background...

What a summer. For those of you arriving here out of the loop, I'll offer you a brief synopsis of what have become the most eventful short months in Meghan and my lives. In 2006, after 5 years in Whitehorse, Yukon, Meghan and I had decided that we were going to settle in this new-found paradise and raise a family. We also decided that if we were going to do so, that we'd like to go back to school and do some travelling. So we did. We were married in July of 2006, and spent the next year or so selling our house, making preparations, and finally spending 6 months exploring Nepal, Southeast Asia, and Europe. In September of 2007, Meghan entered the Aboriginal Teachers Education Program at Queen's University in Kingston, ON, while I worked as a timber framer nearby. The following September saw my turn for school, and we made the move to Bobcaygeon, Ontario. Meg landed a job as a supervisor at a group home, and I worked my butt off at Fleming College's Natural Resources Law Enforcement Program. May of this year brought the happy news that we'd be adding a third to our team, and that Christmas would see a new Callan. May also brought the news that I had landed a great job in Whitehorse as the Youth Programs Coordinator for the Yukon Department of Environment, and that the contract would last until November.
The summer has been hectic, thrilling, energizing, and draining. We've been bouncing around from house-sit to house-sit, not knowing what our future would hold. Meghan found work early on as Team Leader at the Whitehorse Young Offenders Facility, and I eagerly applied on Conservation Officer positions posted for the fall. The youth programs job took a lot of work and organization to juggle 16 staff and 2-3 camps of 10 kids each, and Meg's first trimester of pregnancy left her feeling a little exhausted. Free time was not to be found. By the end of July, we were feeling a little ragged, but knew that we would get through the summer all the better for it, and that fall would bring some time to breathe. We made the decision to buy a house in Whitehorse, and after much looking and hand-wringing, picked up a nice little place backing onto the Grey Mountain greenbelt in Riverdale. With a bit of work, we could make it ours in no time.
At this point in the summer, I started to notice a few things that I attributed to the busy pace of our summer: I was getting a bit clumsy, having trouble typing, working less efficiently, having some coordination problems, and generally just not feeling myself. I left on a camping trip to the Northern Yukon with kids on August 3, and returned on the 13th. We took possession of our house on August 7. On the 13th, I started experiencing headaches that were keeping me up at night. That weekend, Meghan and I moved all of our things from various stages and stations of storage into the house. We haven't even unpacked the boxes yet. We went to a walk-in clinic on the 14th, and the doctor suggested a CT scan for the following week to check out the headaches. The following day, however, it was clear that I needed help right away. I was experiencing the worst headaches of my life, and could no longer type properly.
A visit to Whitehorse General Hospital led to a CT scan and chest X-ray and doctors who read the scan informed Meghan and I that they had found a tumour on my brain, and that I would need to head to hospital in Vancouver or Edmonton right away. Needless to say, this is news that no one expects or wants to hear, and we were devastated, terrified, and in utter shock. Our friends, family and colleagues, equally in shock, nevertheless sprung into action and helped us make arrangements to take care of our house and pets while we flew to Vancouver the following day. With the uncertainty of what we were dealing with, that first week was scary and stressful. After many tests and investigations, it was determined that I had one 3-4 cm tumour in the lower occipital part of my brain, and that swelling in this area was causing the symptoms I had been experiencing. It was also determined that I had six other smaller tumours forming on my brain. The decision was quickly made to remove the largest of them in order to relieve my symptoms, eliminate the swelling, and to figure out exactly where the tumours were coming from. The operation took under two hours, and went very well. Pathology results from the tumour have revealed that I have a form of Cancer known as "Diffuse Large B-Cell Central Nervous System Lymphoma". I will be undergoing intensive chemotherapy for the next several months here in Vancouver.
So that's where this all came from. The support and love we've been receiving has been both overwhelming and humbling. We've got so much on our side that there is no way we can go wrong. We're going to SMASH this thing.


Here are some selected pre-blog updates:

From Mark and Meghan (Aug 25)

Hello everyone. . . .
We just wanted to send a quick note out to all of you to let you know that Meghan, I, and our families are feeling the incredible waves of support that you're generating more than ever, and that all is going well here. We've been both humbled by and awed at the generosity, caring, and concern passed our way over the past week by family, friends, medical staff, and people we've only just met. It's amazing what beauty can emerge from the sludge of a situation like this.
I am feeling good, and they discharged me from hospital today. Pathology results from the tumour the surgeon removed will be available to us very soon. We should know more about what we're dealing with then and what treatment might look like, but right now, it looks 99% like Central Nervous System Lymphoma - this, (as awful as it sounds) is apparently good news. The treatment regime for this type of cancer includes intensive chemotherapy for 2-3 days at a time every two weeks here in Vancouver for 12-18 weeks with possible follow-up radiation. We're still not sure how I'll react to these treatments, and what our life will look like for the next few months, but we've got excellent options for accommodations down here and I hear that it'll be prime salmon season in these parts soon.
We have encountered many amazing medical professionals so far, but I must mention my neurosurgeon Dr. Gary Redekop, and my oncologist Dr. Joseph Ragaz. Dr. Redekop is an incredibly talented, dedicated man who continuously awes me with brilliance, tenacity and commitment to his work. Dr. Ragaz, a saint of a man who has appeared from the ether, is helping us navigate the challenges ahead with selflessness, wisdom, and grace.
We've got a road ahead of us, but we've always liked a good road. And again, with all of you on our side, there is no way that we can go wrong. I've attached a couple of photos here so you can see my Frankenstein staples (if yer innarested) and some proof that the smashing has begun. (Thanks to Dave King and Jen Turner for the shirt!) I'm shaving off the rest of the hair tonight so bearded and bald is the way for a while!

Much, much, much love. . . take care of eachother and know that you are with us always. . .

Mark and Meghan


------------------------------------

BC Cancer Agency Update from Mike (Aug 28)

Hi all. . .
my brother Mike typed up this update to send out earlier today. I'll send my own (and some photos) tomorrow. A big day - the first step on the road to beating this thing. Sounds like the communications system is getting simplified via a blog, so that's great. Talk to you all soon.

Mark had two meetings today. First, with his Neurosurgeon to remove the 30 staples in his head and later with his primary Oncologist to discuss the treatment path ahead.
The staples were all removed without incident and the Neurosurgeon noted that this was the first time that he had been photographed while conducting such a procedure. The Neurosurgeon was happy to report that he had treated other patients with CNS Lymphoma who were doing well many years after their initial diagnosis.
The Oncologist confirmed that the technical name for this lymphoma is “Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma” . This type of lymphoma represents about 40% of all lymphomas but is not commonly found in the brain; it is even less common in young people (the average age for those contracting it is 65). It is so rarely found in young people in fact that only 5 people under 30 were on record as having had it over the last 20 years in British Columbia.
The cause of the lymphoma is unclear but it likely originated no longer than 2 months ago.
Treatment
Some forms of chemotherapy address tumors in the brain better than others. One of the most effective, and the one that will lead Mark’s treatment is called Hi-dose Methetrexate.
Mark will need to be admitted to hospital for the chemotherapy treatments but he’ll stay no longer than 3-4 days each session. There will be between 6-10 sessions throughout the course of treatment and Mark’s first will begin this Tuesday.
The treatments won’t be fun but the side effects seem to be limited: limited to no hair loss, some potential inflammation of the mouth, and any potential nausea should be kept at bay with the very effective anti-nauseants currently on offer. The Oncologist expects that Mark will tolerate the chemotherapy well and should be able to continue most activities.
The Oncologist, will be away next week but her colleague, Dr. Hoskins, will pick up where she left off.
Mark will have an eye exam and a ‘lumbar puncture’ just to rule out any complications with the eyes or back. The risks of such complications are minimal.
So this isn’t the best type of cancer to have but it’s far from the worst and he’s getting top quality medical attention. The Chemo regime will be tough but so is Mark. Tuesday will mark another step along the path to getting back to full health.

---------------------------

12 comments:

Meghan said...

Hello.

I have not actually met either of you, but I work with Mark and my mom works with Meghan. I just want to send warm thoughts and lots of love your way. My husband and I just recently spent time at the BCCA. The staff are all so great there and very knowledgeable in what they do. I love the "smashin it" title. How true!
All the best to you and yours.
Meghan Tyerman and family

Unknown said...

Hello
I only worked with Megan a few times at YOF and do not know Mark. However I would like to send you some positive vibes. I wish you only the best.
Good luck in your recovery
Theresa

Craig & Shannon said...

Hi Mark & Megs,
I love the background post. What a great summary of your life story the past few years. You are such a great writer I was thinking if you want to practice during your current 'down time' you could write updates for my blog!!
Love you guys and thinking of you lots.
Shannon, Craig, Avery & McKinley

Laura Rubino said...

Hi Mark,

what an inspiring story, and so beautifully told. you are totally amazing, and with a superstar wife and secret identity person on the way, i KNOW you will kill this thing and keep walking the road into the future.

i'll be thinking of you and sending you bursts of good energy through the cosmos.

keep up the amazing attitude, and let me know if i can do anything.

love,

laura

Anonymous said...

hey dude-

in case you need a laugh, this does it for me always.
http://www.fupenguin.com/

Inspiration quote time?! Okay!
"When you are going through hell, keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Corrie. said...

dude mark. you are awesome. :) ...!!!!!! YEaS you can win this epic battle of such grand purportions its just insane!!!! i just know you can, i feel it in you and you will defeat and SmAsHHH!! your unworthy oppenent.. the evil one they call.. DECANouROUS MONSTER!! bahhhh!! .. yea, props to your spirt and with all the love, support and knowledge of power i can give you and send your way.. youll get there :) win, so i can work with you for future summers to come and go :) xoxo.. Cheers~ COrrie Firth.

Anonymous said...

hey you two. love love love your blog. your buddy Dave King is hillarious. and you two are amazing. two of the most amazing people i know. keep up the great work. i'm thinking of you and sending positives your way all the time. kerijo

Unknown said...

HI Mark and Meghan

Glad to read these new updates. This is a wonderful idea to have a blog. It allows you to express yourself to us and for us to you. These are great friends to have set this up. I am learning from reading as you know I will be starting soon too but may need further surgery. I know deep down you will beat this as there is no room in my mind for doubt . All the best and glad you can go hunting too!!

Anonymous said...

Hello my dears,
I just checked in and was quite comforted to see Mark eating the english breakfast, blood pudding and all. I am a firm believer in all things homemade. I hope your liver is feeling better by the time you get this e-mail, I really will send off the seaweed and mushrooms this week, I have dawdled about picking them up from various little grocers in my neighbourhood but have been slow to send them off, but I will do that shortly. Does your chemo regimen allow you to take natural liver rinses with stuff like artichoke and dandelion...you should ask, maybe you will be allowed to take it in between treatments and it may help with your energy, getting you on track for moose season! Also, I just wanted to sent you both big love and hugs, you are such an inspiring team, it was nice to see the pictures of you two exercising. I read in the globe and mail that yoga is helpful for coping with the various discomforts of chemo, (paging katie ross), and maybe you could add some ground ginger to various liquids or foods to help that hangover feeling, or nausea. That tip was also in the globe. I hope your short trip back to your new home is relaxing and restorative. All my love and good vibes, promise to get that crazy voodoo hippie dried food in the mail this week. Love, mandy

Anonymous said...

Hi
We dont know eachother but I am a current student of the Natural Resources Law Enforcement program at Fleming and was told your story today. I will be praying for you and hope you will be well soon.
Most of the fight is mental and I am told you are a very strong individual. Always think positive thoughts and be grateful for the things you do have in life. We all know we're not always dealt the hands we want but there are always people out there who'd rather have our hand rather than the one they have. You have family and friends close to you, eyes and ears to see a smile and hear a laugh, and arms to feel a hug.
Stay strong and good luck.
M

Anonymous said...

Hello Mark:
I just read your blog and will be praying for peace and healing in your situation. I always find this verse comforting and hope that it will bring you closer to God:
"Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways, acknowledge him and he will make your path straight."
Blessings to you! Jill

Allison said...

Hi Meghan and Mark...
I just heard the news a few days ago and I want you to know that I'm thinking of you!! I have no doubt that the two of you WILL smash this thing!! Take care and good luck. If you need an escape from the rain in Vancouver, feel free to hop on the boat and come over to the rain in Victoria....I would love to see you!! We have a cozy spare room and other than two crazy kids waking you up at 6:30am, it's relatively peaceful here
: )
Big hugs from my family....can't wait to hear about your new addition!
Allison, Paul, Sam and Cassie xoxoxo