Friday, September 4, 2009

Chemo 'N Me


Meg and I are currently installed in room 536 at the BC Cancer Agency, and all is going well. I was the subject of a battery of tests upon arriving here that were mainly designed to make sure that the lymphoma is residing only in my brain. My eyes received an all-clear examination from an opthamologist, I was the lucky recipient of a clear report on a (not so-unpleasant) spinal tap, and we're waiting to hear the results from a (more-so unpleasant) bone marrow biopsy, but they don't expect to find anything there either. They've also taken litres of blood from me, xrays, dentistry, and various other bodily products. Despite all of this, my stay here has been great. The facility and staff here are truly world class, and again, I am receiving top quality care. My room looks out over a landscaped rooftop patio and is adjacent to a family lounge complete with television and computer, board games, piano, and comfortable furniture. The rooms are shared, but I've been lucky enough to have mine to myself for the majority of my stay. Meghan and other visitors are welcome to 
come and go as they please, and Meg has been staying here with me quite comfortably. 
Meg and I on the rooftop patio 
This is what my chemo regime looks like: After arriving, they hook me up to a pre-hydration IV which is designed to get my kidneys running well and bring the alkalinity of my system up. My body needs to maintain a pH of 7.5 for the chemicals that they use to work. After 4 hours of this, they hook me up to a high dosage of "Golden Goodness" (Methotrexate). This drug is the main smasher of my chemotherapy. It is effective in crossing the "blood brain barrier" which prevents most drugs from being able to target brain tissues. It targets cells which multiply quickly (like cancer cells). I get the gold for four hours, and then it's post-hydration for 20 hours, continuing with the maintenance of alkalinity of my system. Throughout, I get preventative anti-nauseants. After the 20 hours of post-hydration, I get several doses of a "rescue" chemical through IV called Leucovorin which binds to the Methotrexate and helps me get it out of my system. They monitor the Methotrexate in my blood, and when it's down to an acceptable level, then I'm done. I am also receiving a #2 punch today in the form of a drug called Rituximab. This drug is less effective in crossing the "blood brain barrier", but has still proven valuable in treatments, and has minimal side effects for most people. So I'll be double fisting it today, and if my Methotrexate levels are good, should be out of here tomorrow!
 My nurse Jodi hooking up the golden goodness. . .
My body seems to be handling the chemo very well so far. Truth be told, I feel fine. I've had no nausea, my appetite is good, and my spirits are great. I've been told that I may lose hair as time goes by, that fatigue will be an issue, and that I may get some mouth pain/sores, but for the moment, all is well.
 
SMASH it!
Meg and I can't thank you all enough for the continued love and support. We really appreciate all of the emails, phone calls, blog comments, prayers, care packages, and positive energy. The outpouring of energy has been truly overwhelming, and we hope to get back to each one of you in our own way over time. I must acknowledge here the contributions of some specific people over the past few weeks. While so many people have helped Meghan, myself, and our families out, I need to point out the contributions that Deb Higgins, Brianna McGuire, Mike Callan, and Liz Pelton have made.
Deb has been our communications wizard and our lifeline to Whitehorse. Deb and her partner Pete are busy individuals with a 3 year old and crawling infant who have taken on our cat Kitty and (high-maintenance) dog Carl. They also spearheaded the creation of this blog, and have been invaluable emotional and logistical supports. 
Darling Deb
Meghan's sister Brianna is currently 7 months pregnant and works full-time as an Occupational Therapist in Ontario. She flew here to Vancouver and stayed with us during some of our most stressful times before, during, and after surgery. Brianna has two kids that her husband Graham was left to care for during this time, and while she was here, Brianna was like an external brain to us: she dealt with paperwork, medical research, doctors, massage, coffees, job issues, house issues, and basically knew exactly what we needed before we did. She's an amazing woman, and I don't know what we would have done without her.
Saint Brianna
My brother Mike currently works with the Canadian International Development Agency and lives in Khartoum, Sudan with his partner Liz. Both Mike and Liz flew to Vancouver before my surgery, and have been here ever since. It was hard to have to see Liz leave yesterday, but Mike will be here until early next week. This team has really taken care of us over the past little while. They've been invaluable in helping set up our apartment, facilitating our continued medical needs, nurturing our souls, and providing moments of lightness.
Team Mike and Liz
Of course, countless others have offered supports in various ways, and our love goes out to all of you. The light that surrounds us is beautiful. In other news, my most current oncologist is actually encouraging me to get out and do the things I love, and has given me the blessing to participate in a short hunting trip during our time in the Yukon in a couple of weeks. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that I'm feeling up to it! We'll keep you posted. . .

7 comments:

Sebastian Kun said...

Wow Mark, what a journey so far. Your drive and passion and will to overcome this obstacle are truly inspiring. Wishing you all the best to SMASH it.

Seb

Colin said...

Mark,

Glad to see that you've brought the same ferocious tenacity to this fight as you did to PeeWee Hockey, and Willow Tree Whip fights.

All the best,

Colin

Anonymous said...

From All in Athenry Ireland - Michael, Rosemay and family wish you the best - SMASH IT.

Breeda said...

Mark - you are an inspiration to all those who have to deal with illness and trouble in their lives. I admire your positive, upbeat attitude and I know you will beat this illness.

"Please know there lies on the path ahead a bright and beautiful new dawn"

My sister, Helen, and I look forward to taking you and Megan to Shakespeare's birthday place again on your next trip to Coventry.

God bless


Breeda

Jenn Kelleher said...

Hi Mark and Meghan

This is Shannon's physio friend Jenn. My husband Pete, and my kids Aidan and Erin just spent the day with the McGuire clan at Sand Lake, and we are all proudly sporting SMASH IT bracelets which we will wear until you have kicked this thing!! Aidan is 6, and last night he had some interesting questions about what is Cancer and how does it get in your brain and how does it get "smashed out"? He had been talking to Callum, who had informed him of what was going on. Tonight when we got home, we had to work on our homework, which was an "All about me" poster. One of the sections was My 3 Wishes. Aidan's first wish was I wish I had powers. His second was I wish we had a pool. His third wish was I wish Avery's uncle's Cancer was gone already - like by tomorrow morning! I just wanted you to know that there are many people out there wishing for you, and that there is a poster hanging in St.Theresa's school, that will no doubt prompt a few more wishes and prayers in your direction. We look forward to the next update!

The Kelleher Clan

Dan Tutt said...

Mark:
My name is Dan Tutt. Our dads went to engineering school together in the olden days. I just got refferd to your blog and wanted you to know that it's really well put together. I especially like the "background info" section as it allows a reader to get the 'coles notes' of your blog in one place. I am also fighting cancer (stage 4 colon) and am blogging about my journey. I'm one year in to the fight and its been mostly a good trip so far. I hope your fight goes well and the hard times pass quickly. Best wishes.
Dan
http://dantutt.blogspot.com/

Liz B-I said...

Dear Mark,
Your courage, strength, and amazing positivity are inspirational. Sending you lots of good vibes. You are in my thoughts.
All the best,
Liz Ben-Ishai