Sunday, April 25, 2010

Good News Round 2

I know, I know. We've been slacking. A lot has happened since our last post, but maybe the most important thing (other than Hadley rolling over) is that we just returned from my first 3-month checkup in Vancouver. I have been having some symptoms recently that include headaches and a strange tingling down the back of my legs. Needless to say, this caused some anxiety about my appointments, and in the days leading up to them, Meghan and I were feeling the strain. The good news is that two MRIs later (one of my head and one of my spine), I've once again been given a clean bill of health. Apparently the headaches and tingling are common side effects of radiation that can surface even 6 months after treatment. As my friend Dan said: "Headaches, eh? They did shoot a laser at your brain you know".
  It was a point well taken. It seems like in the days leading up to these checkups that every chapped lip and runny nose found some connection to cancer. But I don't have cancer anymore. We're happy that that's the case, and will wait another few months before anxiety skyrockets, and only doses of Hadley will suffice in quenching the fire of panic. But we will get by.
  If you're in Whitehorse reading this, keep in mind that we're having an Open House/BBQ on Friday, May 7th at our place at 67 Pelly Rd. in Riverdale. Anybody and everybody are welcome to show up anytime after 4:00 pm. Bring something to cook on the grill, your favorite bevvy, and we'll have some stuff to go along with that, including some extra drinks. Most importantly, bring yourselves and whoever you think might have fun. I wish everyone from across the country could come. The amount of support we've received (and continue to receive) makes me think the world can be an amazingly good place sometimes.
  I'm starting work on May 10th, and it feels like it will be a landmark day in my recovery. I hope to ease into it with some part-time hours, and, as usual, Environment Yukon has been incredibly accommodating. I'm doing some exercises to help rebuild my strength, and we're out walking every day. Meg is doing great. As usual, she's holding up her end of the deal and then some. Sometimes I wonder how she can be holding Hadley, making dinner, washing dishes, unpacking boxes and talking on the phone all at the same time, but she does it. I'm starting to hold up my end of things a little more too.


  Hadley is the happiness of our everyday. Antidote to sadness, anxiety, fear, she's a little gem who's smile is too contagious to resist. If you want to see a bit more of her, you can do so here.

 And this sums up our current 3 month cycle pretty well. (Click the "play" icon on the page to hear it).

All the best to all of you.
M&M

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Much love from Singapore where Hannah is now doing somersaults of celebration.

Seamus, HK and wee Palindrome.

Jacquie said...

Yahoo for you guys! I still keep seeing your face, Mark, when Hadley was born. That was a look of such miraculous joy and healing! Yahoo that it was cancer-smashingly powerful! xo Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Hey Beloveds I too have been a slacking too for which I totally apologize. I am thrilled to know that the news remains good and i send bisoux and calins and beaucoup d amour. Hadley is absolutely beautiful. I cannot wait to meet her. Talk soon, much love...
xoxoxoxoxo mandy

Anonymous said...

And I am really sorry about kitty. I am watching my nanny slip away right now, and can totally empathize.
still mandy

chskyridge said...

You three are a wonderful family and I love looking at your photos. Hadley is sooooo beautiful with such a sweet and innocent look in her eyes. Rolling over is a great skill for one so young - clever girl. We were so sorry to hear about kitty - what a character and what a life. She was lucky to be part of your family. Glad Mark's checkup turned out so well - so now you can enjoy your new job and your beautiful family. We are looking forward to seeing you in June. Love, Chris and Rick